cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interesting post about FC troubleshooting on the VIC

dave.cole
Level 1
Level 1

http://angryjesters.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/cisco-vic-boot-from-san-troubleshooting/

Describes how to force fabric logins from the VIC's CLI, long before you have an OS do it for you.  Great for troubleshooting boot from SAN.

4 Replies 4

Thanks for the post Dave, but my sanboots always work :}

Of course, as do mine, when I have full control of the entire path from blade to spindle.    But when you're depending on another group to configure the SAN zoning and LUN masking, sometimes you need to be a ninja. 

This was a "quirk" of the VIC; you could do this from Qlogic and Emulex HBAs (if you managed to catch the 0.1s opportunity to launch their BIOS tools), but it was commented that you were out of luck on the Cisco VIC.  This post demonstrates that while maybe not as pretty, you actually do have some pretty awesome CLI tools available.

eminchen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Guys, be aware the same capabilities exist for iSCSI boot troubleshooting. I found this is very very useful. Normal legacy iSCSI boot troubleshoot process is troublesome. Here is set of commands you can use for iSCSI:

connect adapter <chassis-id>/<blade-id>/<adapter-id>

connect

attach-mcp

vnic <id> iscsi_show_cfg

vnic <id> iscsi_show_bootnic to check target connection issues ( get the host to the bios menu (after oprom has run) to run this command)

iscsi_ping_start to ping all iSCSI targets configured and iscsi_ping to check the status of ping.

Take care,

Eugene

micturne
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for posting Dave. I moved to the main DCC community page so that this discussion can recieve proper visability and searchability.

Best,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: