cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP is disabled on Ethernet 1/1

Fred6
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco Nexus 3000 series switch connected to another manufacturer's device.  Port Ethernet 1/1 is configured to be in trunking mode.  But I am getting a 'IP is disabled on Ethernet 1/1' message from the console port.  Additionally, the device it is connected to is not recognizing the Ethernet connection between the two devices. 

When I connect a Cisco IOS device the same way (with the port configured for trunking mode), that same device recognizes the Ethernet connection and shows its port up and running. 

Is there some command I need to type under the interface to enable the IP on that port?  I don't see any commands under that port to enable IP there. 

2 Replies 2

Fred6
Level 1
Level 1

I tried connecting the IOS trunk port to the Nexus trunk port directly. 

I am still getting the same message. 

It has got to be some configuration setting on the Nexus. 

Any suggestions? 

That error message shows up every time I type 'show ip int e1/1' on the command line. 

sbalired
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In Nexus to enable ip you need to give "no switchport" and then you need to give some ip address.

Generally these are in L2 by default so you need to bring them to L3 by using no switchport.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: