Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
vivarock12
Beginner

L3 over VPC with 2 vpc domains

Hello,

So the question is what the best practice to use L3 over VPC in a 2 VPC Domains port channel?

I will have 2 77k nexus with 2 VDC an i dont have enough port to separete l3 link for full mesh and for l2 portchannel, i just add a image.

how should add the L3 protocol(eigrp)?

a /29 or what the best practice?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Francesco Molino
VIP Mentor

Hi

I won't talk about physical cards and NXOS version.
Let's assume all your hardware and software is supported, you can route over vpc and you need to enable the command layer3 peer-router in your vpc domain configuration.

I will recommend using 3 different subnets for dynamic routing:
- 1 for peering between the 2 members of the same vpc domain (left side devices) (/30 subnet is enough)
- same as above for right side devices
- 1 for the vpc between the 4 devices (/29 subnets)

In addition to that, you can refer to vpc best practices designs to validate your linecards and/or software version are supported.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Advocate

Hi,

Routing over vPC is supported, but I would recommend looking at the following document to see all details and requirements related to the supported typologies for routing over vPC: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/118997-technote-nexus-00.html 

Stay safe,

Sergiu

7 REPLIES 7
Francesco Molino
VIP Mentor

Hi

I won't talk about physical cards and NXOS version.
Let's assume all your hardware and software is supported, you can route over vpc and you need to enable the command layer3 peer-router in your vpc domain configuration.

I will recommend using 3 different subnets for dynamic routing:
- 1 for peering between the 2 members of the same vpc domain (left side devices) (/30 subnet is enough)
- same as above for right side devices
- 1 for the vpc between the 4 devices (/29 subnets)

In addition to that, you can refer to vpc best practices designs to validate your linecards and/or software version are supported.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

@Francesco Molinothanks for the reply.

Just like i was doing in the test so i know that im not crazy jajajaja.

Thanks for the advice and i will check the compatibility from what i know i can doint with NX7702 and N77-F348XP-23 so i spect that this can be done.

Yeah with your hw it should be fine.

Thanks
Francesco

@Francesco Molinojust one thing this is not a DCI scenario, it should work besides of that rigth?

it more a Core to Distribution kind of scenario.

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Advocate

Hi,

Routing over vPC is supported, but I would recommend looking at the following document to see all details and requirements related to the supported typologies for routing over vPC: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/118997-technote-nexus-00.html 

Stay safe,

Sergiu

@Sergiu.DanilukYes but the scenario im trying to do is not define in there, it is define on VPC best Practices:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

As a DCI conection, but im dogin a Core-Distribution conection.

so what should i do?

Yes because Nexus design like you're doing is more a dci interconnexion and not a core/distribution design but it works the same.

Thanks
Francesco