Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 over VPC with 2 vpc domains

vivarock12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

So the question is what the best practice to use L3 over VPC in a 2 VPC Domains port channel?

I will have 2 77k nexus with 2 VDC an i dont have enough port to separete l3 link for full mesh and for l2 portchannel, i just add a image.

how should add the L3 protocol(eigrp)?

a /29 or what the best practice?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

I won't talk about physical cards and NXOS version.
Let's assume all your hardware and software is supported, you can route over vpc and you need to enable the command layer3 peer-router in your vpc domain configuration.

I will recommend using 3 different subnets for dynamic routing:
- 1 for peering between the 2 members of the same vpc domain (left side devices) (/30 subnet is enough)
- same as above for right side devices
- 1 for the vpc between the 4 devices (/29 subnets)

In addition to that, you can refer to vpc best practices designs to validate your linecards and/or software version are supported.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Routing over vPC is supported, but I would recommend looking at the following document to see all details and requirements related to the supported typologies for routing over vPC: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/118997-technote-nexus-00.html 

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

I won't talk about physical cards and NXOS version.
Let's assume all your hardware and software is supported, you can route over vpc and you need to enable the command layer3 peer-router in your vpc domain configuration.

I will recommend using 3 different subnets for dynamic routing:
- 1 for peering between the 2 members of the same vpc domain (left side devices) (/30 subnet is enough)
- same as above for right side devices
- 1 for the vpc between the 4 devices (/29 subnets)

In addition to that, you can refer to vpc best practices designs to validate your linecards and/or software version are supported.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

@Francesco Molinothanks for the reply.

Just like i was doing in the test so i know that im not crazy jajajaja.

Thanks for the advice and i will check the compatibility from what i know i can doint with NX7702 and N77-F348XP-23 so i spect that this can be done.

Yeah with your hw it should be fine.

Thanks
Francesco

@Francesco Molinojust one thing this is not a DCI scenario, it should work besides of that rigth?

it more a Core to Distribution kind of scenario.

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Routing over vPC is supported, but I would recommend looking at the following document to see all details and requirements related to the supported typologies for routing over vPC: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/118997-technote-nexus-00.html 

Stay safe,

Sergiu

@Sergiu.DanilukYes but the scenario im trying to do is not define in there, it is define on VPC best Practices:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

As a DCI conection, but im dogin a Core-Distribution conection.

so what should i do?

Yes because Nexus design like you're doing is more a dci interconnexion and not a core/distribution design but it works the same.

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: