cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP - peer-link, vPC: how many interfaces??

Luciano Vigano'
Level 1
Level 1

Ciao,

a little doubt arise afte reading the "Cisco Nexus 7000 Series NX-OS Interfaces Configuration Guide, Release 5.x" - September 12, 2011.

At the beginning of chapter 6 (and others times in the chapter) is stated:

"Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 5.1, you can bundle up to 16 active links into a port channel on the F Series module"

again when talking about LACP (6-9)

"With LACP, you can bundle up to 16 interfaces in a channel group. If the channel group has more than

8 interfaces, the remaining interfaces are in hot standby for the port channel associated with this channel

group on the M Series modules.

Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 5.1, you can bundle up to 16 active links into a port channel on

the F Series module."

So according to this starting with NX-OS 5.1 is possible to create an LACP with 16 active links, no more 8 active + 8 hot standby ?

Do this apply also to the vPC peer-link, but not to the vPC links (they still have 8 active) right?

While reading "Data Center Design with Cisco Nexus Switches and Virtual PortChannel: Overview" I found a table that put me in confusion ...

"Ports in a Single Port Channel -

8 without LACP or 16 (8 active, 8 standby) with LACP on a single Cisco Nexus 7000 Series or 16 all active with 8 active per Cisco Nexus 7000 Series, 16 all active on Cisco Nexus 5000 Series"

What does this mean? 8+8 in N7K ? or 8+8 or 16 in N7K ? while 16 in N5k??

I don't know english very well but I think that the above sentece is quite unclear!!

I think I'm little confused ... :-)

Ciao!

Luciano

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chad Peterson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luciano,

I havn't tested but if you are using the F module you should be able to bundle 16 links...vpc-peer link or etherchannel (I havn't tested 16 port vpc peer-link, but sounds like it hsould work).  Now for VPC member link you would likely still want to do 8 max on each side...as the downstream switch using LACP will still have a max of 16...not 32.

Not sure if that clears anything up or not, but I hope it helps.

Chad

View solution in original post

16 links PO is available between N7K and N7K, between N5k and N7K and between N5k and N5k.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chad Peterson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luciano,

I havn't tested but if you are using the F module you should be able to bundle 16 links...vpc-peer link or etherchannel (I havn't tested 16 port vpc peer-link, but sounds like it hsould work).  Now for VPC member link you would likely still want to do 8 max on each side...as the downstream switch using LACP will still have a max of 16...not 32.

Not sure if that clears anything up or not, but I hope it helps.

Chad

Chad,

so the 16 links PO is only avaiable between N7K / N5K, is right?

Tnx :-)

Luciano

16 links PO is available between N7K and N7K, between N5k and N7K and between N5k and N5k.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: