cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate from 6500 to Nexus 7004

tporembski
Level 1
Level 1

I need to migrate vlans from a pair of 6509s to a pair of Nexus 7004.  I connected the 7004 to each other with peer-link and each 7004 has a single trunk to each 6509.  The vlans show as trunking across the links but 2 things occur when I go to migrate a vlan.  

1) both the 6509 and 7004 see themselves as the spanning tree root for a vlan even though I have tried setting priorities manually and using the macros (primary and secondary).

2) when I shut down the SVI on the 6509  and turn it up on the 7004 (these are setup as HSRP) , from either 7004 I can ping myself and the other 7K and the VIP address but I cannot ping any devices attached to the 6509 that are access ports assigned that vlan.

I know I am missing something obvious but I can't see it.

3 Replies 3

Tim Y
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It sounds like the VLANs are not actually being bridged across. If you have an SVI on either side set up (with different IP's of course), can you actually ping across the trunk from one SVI to the other?

If not, can you provide more information about the interfaces on both sides that are connected together for the trunk, including the interface configuration? Are the 6509's using VSS to appear as one logical unit? 

Regards,

Tim

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

could you paste some configs:

- trunk between 6k and 7k switches

- 6k are in vss?

- spanning tree config on all switches

- spanning tree root for 1 vlan on all switches

- SVI config for this same vlan on all 4 switches

thanks

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

after not looking at it for a few hours and going back to it to gather the data you are asking for I believe I see the problem.  I will test it out tomorrow and update if I fixed it.

Thanks.