Views
Helpful
Replies

Mini-Data Center and Core with 3850 switches

remi-reszka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I know Cisco does not classify the 3850 series switches as a core switch even in small implementations neither there is information on StackWise-480 how this is working in high availability in a similar way as VSS. What I am wondering whether I could create a DSN (Data-Center Services Node) with 2 of those switches, insert ASAs or Load Balancers in a DSN manner and L3 port-channel those into each switch, something similar to MEC in VSS.

Anybody has any experience in implementing those switches in a similar way or it has any comments on that I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Remi

4 Replies 4

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I can't see any restrictions about this design. Since it meets your requirements (high-availability, performance, scalability, etc), it is ok.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your input. On the other hand Cisco support did not recommend going for 3850 as core due to many issues with this platform currently. They say better option now it would be 3750X. What do you think?

Thanks!

Hi,

It depends on what you have in your network. We have several successful deployments of 3850, as each project has your own constraints, I cannot determined what is the best option for you considering price x benefits for your business.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

It is going to be a new design. Two core switches 3850 or 3750X, two ASAs 5515X in MEC to both switches, 3 VPN HUB routers also in MEC, some access switches, DMVPN, VRFs, IP SLAs, BGP, EIGRP and PBR. I share with you a part of the diagram with focus on the core. Kind of Data-Center Services Node (DSN) design approach with fully redundant L2 and L3 based on StackWise. 

Do you any of your implementations with switches 3850 that is similar to my design?

Thanks in advance!

Remi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: