cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Modify my boot Policy ?

navinjk1974
Level 1
Level 1

Please review If i can follow the below steps.

1- Create a New Boot Policy

2- Modify the Updating Service Profile template to use the New Boot Policy.

3- With Maintainence Policy Setup to UsrAck, When I Ack and reboot a single host the new boot policy will be used & other Servers will not be affected until I Ack the event for the Server.

Please confirm if the above understanding is correct.

1 Reply 1

rci
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Navin,

Kind of a side note, but your service profiles will only need a reboot if the new boot policy is check marked for "Reboot on Boot Order Change".  This can be handy if the new boot policy stays consistent with what device is actively booted to the system, and only differs with things like vMedia mounting.

Specific to your original question, with UsrAck set in the maintenance policy, and the new boot policy being flagged, my expectation was that it would be the individual affected components, but wasn't certain that it wouldn't trigger a larger Ack of all dependent components. 

To test it I created an equivalent boot policy with Reboot on Boot Order Change, and changed one of my templates to point to this.  The resulting Pending Activities does show the capacity to individually remediate the impacted servers:

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 12.10.53 PM.png

On yet another side note, I confirmed another aspect of the behavior I expected, where an OS initiated reboot of one of the affected servers does clear the Pending Activities flag for that server within UCSM.  As you'll see below, a reboot of one of my blade-3 server through its installed OS has cleared it from the list:

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 12.12.27 PM.png

Hope this helps.

-Ramesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: