Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

N55-M160L3-V2 not working

Hi All, 

Having a big problem for us right now and appreciate very much any assistance as soon as possible!

Have a Nexus5548 Software 5.1(3)N2(1c) and installing a L3 card N55-M160L3-V2

The problem is that when connecting the SFP to an interface it says Layer 3 not ready! 

The show module shows Hw not supported! 

According to every documentation that I can find the card is compatible with both HW and SW, so what’s the problem? 

interface Ethernet1/32

ip address x.x.x.x/30 

N5K# sh int e1/32 status

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port          Name               Status    Vlan      Duplex  Speed   Type

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eth1/32       CONEXION HACIA N5K unknown e routed    full    10G     10Gbase-LR 

N5K# sh int e1/32 brief

Ethernet      VLAN    Type Mode   Status  Reason                   Speed     Por

t

Interface                                                                    Ch 

#

Eth1/32       --      eth  routed down    L3 not ready                10G(D) --

N5K# sh module

Mod Ports  Module-Type                      Model                  Status

--- -----  -------------------------------- ---------------------- ------------

1    32     O2 32X10GE/Modular Universal Pla N5K-C5548UP-SUP        active *

2    0      O2 GEM with L3 ASIC              N55-M160L3-V2          Hw not suppo

rted

3    0      O2 Non L3 Daughter Card          N55-DL2                ok

Mod  Sw              Hw      World-Wide-Name(s) (WWN)

---  --------------  ------  --------------------------------------------------

6 Replies 6

Seems like we have the Nexus5596 card in the 5548 chassis. 

We have the following licenses: 

LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG      
LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG

Is the 5548UP nothing but a layer 2 switch without the L3 card? I mean even having those licenses installed and the NX-OS allowing to configure dynamic and static routing features? 

Andras Dosztal
Level 3
Level 3

Both models use the same daughter card. The problem is that you're running an outdated NX-OS version; the V2 requires 5.2(1)N1(1b) and later. Check the N5k datasheet.

I might not be interpreting the information correctly. 

This is what I see from the data sheet and CCW.

The N55-D160L3-V2 is the L3 daughter, v2 card for the Nexus 5548
The N55-M160L3-V2 is the L3 expansion, v2 module for the Nexus 5596

You're saying the N55-M160L3-V2 will work on the 5548 if upgrading to 5.2(1)N1(1b) or later? 

I will definitely give it a try. 

Oops sorry, you're right about the different hardware; but I'm sure about the NX-OS version.

Thank you my friend. Would you happen to know if the N5k is a L2 switch only if missing the L3 card or module? 

The reason I ask is that we installed the Enterprise license, and I can configure routing protocols or static routes and pretty much every L3 feature, but it does not work. 

Yes, it only does switching then. Btw, the routing license in only needed if you want to use

• BGP
  • VRF Lite
  • PBR
  • PIMv2 (all modes)
  • L3 IS-IS

Check Table 5 in this document.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: