Views
Helpful
Replies

N7K: OTV multihome using an M1 in chassis A and an F3 in chassis B

martap
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We're looking to replace the M1 cards that we have in our N7K's with F3 cards.

We have 2 sites, 2 chassis' per site (otv multihome), and a dedicated OTV VDC in each chassis that only holds the M1 card.

I'd like to replace the cards in different maintenance windows, so at any one time I'll have an M1 chassis and a F3 chassis multi homed.

Is this OK? Can you have the M1 and F3 in different chassis, but in the same multihome site?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI @martap 

Generally speaking yes, should be fine to mix them, but you need to be careful about limitations:

• F3 Series modules do not support the VLAN translation and traffic depolarization features in Cisco NX-OS Release 6.2(6).

• F3 Series modules support the OTV traffic depolarization feature in Cisco NX-OS Release 6.2(8)

• F3 Series modules in an OTV VDC should not have the VLAN mode configured as Fabricpath.

• F3 Series modules do not support data-group configurations for subnets larger than /27, in Cisco NX-OS Releases 6.2(14) / 7.2(x) and earlier. Starting from Release 6.2(16) / 7.3(0), the largest subnet mask supported is /24.

Ref: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/OTV/config_guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_OTV_Configuration_Guide-RI/adv-otv.html

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes can you different modules in the same chasis, But when you replacing i would suggest replace 1 site at a time, means both M1 cards are removed and F3 cards in placed and connected back before you move to next site.

make sure you also read this  : (if you terminating OTV ) situation might have changed.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/data-center-documents/error-feature-otv-not-supported-quot-otv-issue-on-f3-card-quot/ta-p/3135576

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji, thanks for your response...

However, the question was not if I can use different modules in the same chassis, but different modules in different chassis in the same site... So a M1 in chassis A and a F3 in chassis B, where they're part of the same OTV site.

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI @martap 

Generally speaking yes, should be fine to mix them, but you need to be careful about limitations:

• F3 Series modules do not support the VLAN translation and traffic depolarization features in Cisco NX-OS Release 6.2(6).

• F3 Series modules support the OTV traffic depolarization feature in Cisco NX-OS Release 6.2(8)

• F3 Series modules in an OTV VDC should not have the VLAN mode configured as Fabricpath.

• F3 Series modules do not support data-group configurations for subnets larger than /27, in Cisco NX-OS Releases 6.2(14) / 7.2(x) and earlier. Starting from Release 6.2(16) / 7.3(0), the largest subnet mask supported is /24.

Ref: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/OTV/config_guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_OTV_Configuration_Guide-RI/adv-otv.html

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Thanks Sergui.

Do you know if there's any documentation that confirms this as well?

I have search for available docs about this, but there is no public mentioning about this combination.

However, I do not see a problem other then the previous mentioned limitations. Of course, you should also keep in mind that F3 linecards supports UDP over IP over MAC encapsulation. You will need to stick with the MPLS over GRE until you finish the migration to F3 on all sides/AEDs. The encap mode is changeable using " otv encapsulation-format " command.

Stay safe

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: