Dear Friends,

I have setup a single nexus 1010. I have done the following

• Assigned device role as primary
  • Assigned Mgmt 0 IP address
  • Assigned subnet mask
  • Assigned control, management vlan. Assigned Domain ID
  • Selected Option 1 for network topology
  • Enabled telnet & SSH

Now, When I try to ping or telnet to the management IP address by connecting by LAPTOP to Interface 1 (GigabitEthernet1), there is no response ?

What is the reason ?.

Basically How to do a telnet or SSH to a nexus 1010 mgmt 0 interface ? I am not using CIMC interface.

regards

Prasad

5 Replies 5

mwronkow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Prasad,

mgmt0 is handled by Nexus 1010 physical ports 1&2 regardless of 'network uplink type' configuration.  In the default configuration the Nexus 1010 only expects to received tagged frames.  Is your upstream switching trunking the management vlan or sending it as native?

Starting in SP1(4a) we support native vlans through the 'int x/y; native vlan x' commands.

Matthew

Thanks for the response. So from your response I understand the following.

If we configure mgmt 0 interface with IP and select option topology type 1, The IP will reachable if LoM ports are connected to an uplink switch using trunk interface. I assume there is no need to do additional configuration for Portchannel, etc to get this communication right ?

1. Assign IP to Mgmt 0
  2. Configure an  interface on uplink switch in trunk mode to include management vlan part of trunk
  3. connect a cable from GigabitEthernet1 port of 1010 and the uplink port of swith
  4. Connect a PC on the uplink switch with access port mapped to management vlan

With the above four simple steps, I can gain access to N1K ??

By the way, the LoM port is showing me a red led (Marked as 'S') glowing.

regards

Prasad K

Prasad,

The Nexus 1010 LOM port is separate from ports 1-6.  The LOM can be configured in 'dedicated' mode which means the LOM interface is used for CIMC traffic.  Or 'shared' mode in which CIMC traffic shares ports 1 & 2.  Neither of these influences connectivity to mgmt0.  Not sure about the red X - if you enter CIMC configuration what is the up link type?  Also depending upon the module of N1010, the LOM interface may only support 10/100 - not 1GE.

Comment on Step4 - Regardless of topology type, ports 1 & 2 are never port-channeled.  The upstream switch should present these as individual trunk ports.

# Sample configuration w/ STP best practices for N1010.

int ge1/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan all

spanning-tree port type edge trunk

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

Matthew

Ok. That trigged me even a more fundamental question. My undestanding is that three are total 7 ports on N1010.

2 LoM fixed port 10/100/1000

4 PCI port

1 CIMC port (the one port kept near to USB slots)

Mgmt 0 can only use the LoM interfaces (G1andG2) for sending traffic.... LoM is not separate port other than the 1-6 interface as per below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9902/white_paper_c07-603623.html

"

The Cisco Nexus 1010 has six 1 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces available for network connectivity: two 1 Gigabit Ethernet LAN-on-motherboard (LOM) interfaces and four 1 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces, available through a PCI card "

I will update with my observation tommorow. Then I will come back with 1000v and DNM VSB integration quires

That statement in the guide is incorrect as there is only 1 LOM/CIMC interface.  Mgmt0 uses only the 2 Fixed ports (1&2)

The ports have the following properties:

1 CIMC port  - Blue port - 10/100 on Nexus 1010.  10/100/1000 on new Nexus 1110.

2 fixed ports (Ports 1&2) - bottom Red ports - Speed/Duplex is hard coded via software at 1000Mbps/Full.  These ports can be set to dedicated (default) or shared mode for CIMC access.  Shared mode will disable the single CIMC port below.  All traffic (mgmt, ctrl, pkt, data) must be tagged.

4 PCI ports (Ports 3-6) - Speed/Duplex is hard coded via software at 1000Mbps/Full.  Again, tag all traffic.

If you are having connectivity issues check if mgmt0 mac address is present in upstream switch.