cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 Upgrade from 6.03

jenny conlan
Level 1
Level 1

About to upgrade from 6.03 due to Bug and I am told that the upgrade form 6.03 has a Bug - anyone perform an upgrade from this code?

Looking for lessons learned, caveats. etc. etc.

Plan to go to 6.15a (min recommended release for 7010) and then to 6.03

Dual Chassis w/

Single Sup 1

(2) N7K-F248XP-25

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You have a single supervisor so you can go directly from 6.0.3 to 6.2.12 using a traditional upgrade method. BU support is there for this type of upgrade. This is a note from the release notes (link is in point 2) "Customers running Cisco NX-OS releases not listed in “Starting Release” column in Table 8 are recommended to reload the switch to a destination release —6.2(12), 6.2(14). "

3 points I would like you to go through is -

1. Is your sup1 having 4gig or 8gig ram? If its 4gig then you can't go to 6.2.12. You need 8gig.

2. 6.2.x release notes

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/release/notes/62_nx-os_release_note.html

3. The nexus 7000 scalability guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/verified_scalability/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_Verified_Scalability_Guide.html

How many VDCs do you have. if you review the scalability guides, do you see your switch running close to any of the high limits for the features installed? Reason I ask is that Sup1 has a lower processing power than sup2. If your usage of the switch is below the upper limits of specific features then you will probably have no issues on 6.2.12.

-Raj

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rajeshkumar Gatti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jenny,

Do you have the bug ID that you are suspecting will be seen during or after the upgrade?

Since you have a single sup, you will be doing a disruptive upgrade.

A disruptive upgrade resets most of the internal states and builds the internal states/programming from the scratch  which is a good thing. From my TAC experience i can say that there is a lower probability of hitting some nasty bug during such a disruptive upgrade. Also your system has just 2 F2 cards which means a much faster upgrade.

Hope that helps.

-Raj

Raj,

I haven't been given a BUG ID but was told that:

NX-OS version 6.0.3 has a bug which can cause it to fill up a temp directory on the flash of the switch. The only way to clear this out is to have TAC provide a debug file which gets loaded on the switch and allows TAC to get lower level access on the switch than is normally available.

I had a question about path as well - ive heard that you can go straight from 6.03 to 6.2.12 but if I follow the 6.15a path - do I upgrade both chassis to 6.15a then jump to 6.2.12 or complete one chassis  at a time? Not finding a lot online so your feedback is much appreciated.

You have a single supervisor so you can go directly from 6.0.3 to 6.2.12 using a traditional upgrade method. BU support is there for this type of upgrade. This is a note from the release notes (link is in point 2) "Customers running Cisco NX-OS releases not listed in “Starting Release” column in Table 8 are recommended to reload the switch to a destination release —6.2(12), 6.2(14). "

3 points I would like you to go through is -

1. Is your sup1 having 4gig or 8gig ram? If its 4gig then you can't go to 6.2.12. You need 8gig.

2. 6.2.x release notes

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/release/notes/62_nx-os_release_note.html

3. The nexus 7000 scalability guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/verified_scalability/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_Verified_Scalability_Guide.html

How many VDCs do you have. if you review the scalability guides, do you see your switch running close to any of the high limits for the features installed? Reason I ask is that Sup1 has a lower processing power than sup2. If your usage of the switch is below the upper limits of specific features then you will probably have no issues on 6.2.12.

-Raj

Thank you, Raj.

We have 8gig ram and  no issues for scalability so I think we are good.

I have a proactive case opened for tonight but wanted some clarification before my MX window - no surprises. : )

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: