Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7004 - Interfaces didn't show up for Newly installed I/O module

I have installed (offline) the new I/O module N7K-F312FQ-25 in the 4th slot of Nexus 7004 device. The 3rd slot is already running with I/O module N7K-M224XP-23L.

When I boot the device, the new module listed with status OK in the show module output. But, the interfaces of the module are not showing up in the interfaces list.  

Please guide do we need to configure any command on Nexus 7004 for the module to show up its interfaces.

Your help and support is highly appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In nexus 7000 the interfaces of a new module needs to be allocated first to a specific VDC and only after that you will be able to see them.

switch# conf t
switch(config)# vdc <name>
switch(config-vdc)#  allocate interface ethernet <slot>/<port>-<last-port>  

This action needs to be done from default VDC or, if you have one, from admin VDC.

Do a "show run" and search for the VDC part to see how the existing interfaces are allocated.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

You need to change your VDC type from supporting F3 as well.

switch(config)# vdc vdc-name 
switch(config-vdc)# limit-resource module-type m2xl f3

For more details about how to manage your VDC, I would recommend you read the following documentation:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus7000/sw/vdc/config/cisco_nexus7000_vdc_config_guide_8x/managing-vdc.html

Note: pay attention to table 23 in case in the future you might plan on doing other mixes between different LC models.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is this VDC, have you allocated the resources ? can you show the module output ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In nexus 7000 the interfaces of a new module needs to be allocated first to a specific VDC and only after that you will be able to see them.

switch# conf t
switch(config)# vdc <name>
switch(config-vdc)#  allocate interface ethernet <slot>/<port>-<last-port>  

This action needs to be done from default VDC or, if you have one, from admin VDC.

Do a "show run" and search for the VDC part to see how the existing interfaces are allocated.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

I tried to add interface in the current VDC and received the below error

ERROR: 1 or more interfaces are from a module of type not supported by this vdc

New Module installed is N7K-F312FQ-25 and

in the VDC configuration, limit resource command has supported module type as "limit-resource module-type m1 f1 m1xl m2xl".

Should I add any module-type in the limit resource command for the module "N7K-F312FQ-25".

Kindly help.

Can you post the complete output of show modules

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi..

FYR...

r02# show module
Mod Ports Module-Type Model Status
--- ----- ----------------------------------- ------------------ ----------
1 0 Supervisor Module-2 N7K-SUP2E active *
2 0 Supervisor Module-2 N7K-SUP2E ha-standby
3 24 10 Gbps Ethernet Module N7K-M224XP-23L ok
4 12 10/40 Gbps Ethernet Module N7K-F312FQ-25 ok

Mod Sw Hw
--- --------------- ------
1 7.3(3)D1(1) 1.0
2 7.3(3)D1(1) 6.2
3 7.3(3)D1(1) 1.1
4 7.3(3)D1(1) 1.1

Mod Online Diag Status
--- ------------------
1 Pass
2 Pass
3 Pass
4 Pass

* this terminal session
r02#

You need to change your VDC type from supporting F3 as well.

switch(config)# vdc vdc-name 
switch(config-vdc)# limit-resource module-type m2xl f3

For more details about how to manage your VDC, I would recommend you read the following documentation:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus7000/sw/vdc/config/cisco_nexus7000_vdc_config_guide_8x/managing-vdc.html

Note: pay attention to table 23 in case in the future you might plan on doing other mixes between different LC models.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Hi Sergiu,

Thanks for your support. As you instructed, I changed the module type in the VDC and didn't encounter any issues. Following that, I allocated the new module interfaces in the current VDC. Everything is working fine.

As the devices are in production environment, it took time to make changes.  

Mohamed Ali

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: