Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9K configurations

Reece Boucher
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am in the process of standing up a new Data Centre and having an issue with configuring VPC between 2 Nexus 9372 switches.

I will only have Nexus kit in the DC (Nexus 9K and Nexus 2248 FEX), and from what I can see you need to have a keepalive (besides the trunks connecting the switches together).

My query is can I use a non routable (basically back-back) connection (using a xover cable) as is displayed in the attached in Option A?

If not, doesn't configuring a FEX using VPC mean the VPC has to be up before the FEX comes alive (and can't because the keepalive isn't there), or will it come up on a single part of the port-channel and hence be ok?  Displayed in attached document, Option B

Sorry if this is a simpleton question, but it's been stressing me out.  I gather from what I've read there is no concept of VSS in N9K (so each switch will remain its own management entity)?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

liguoriariel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I strongly recommend you option A, also since it's your mgmt interface I also suggest you to have other out of band switch for that connection but if you dont have you can still use (1G link is enough for mgmt), here is one of the best resources for VPC that I've read: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

HTH,

KR,

AL

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

liguoriariel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I strongly recommend you option A, also since it's your mgmt interface I also suggest you to have other out of band switch for that connection but if you dont have you can still use (1G link is enough for mgmt), here is one of the best resources for VPC that I've read: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

HTH,

KR,

AL

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: