cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

On what "channel" do two HSRP processes communicate in a N7K solution?

MGStickler
Level 1
Level 1

If I have a pair of N7Ks that provide an aggregation layer that is the first-up and I'm using HSRP as the FHRP, over what "channel" do the two HSRP processes communication?

Would they use the mgmt0 port if that were configured? Or do the communicate over the VLAN that they provide the SVI for?

We are having some issues with HSRP taking a long time to decide which is active and which is standby (both become active) for a number of VLANs if one is taken away and then brought back up.

This is in an environment that I did not design or implement. It is not using mgmt0 for vpc peer keep alive (it is using a seperate vrf for this function).

Thanks!!!!

4 Replies 4

The HSRP communication would be via your SVI interface followoing the physical interfaces that connects the SVIs between the N7Ks, or the VDCs.

It will NOT use your Mg0 interface as that lives in the Management VRF where all other interfaces and SVIs live in the Default VRF unless that was changes.

If you say slow convergence? What HSRP version you using and what is the path between the SVIs?

Thanks, let me get back to you on the HSRP version and the path between the SVIs.

It is HSRP Version 1 and I assume that the primary path between the SVIs is the VPC Peer Link when it is up.

Then the delay should be the normal HSRP negotiation delay.

Have you timed the initial setup? how long does it take.

Perhaps try HSRP ve2 and decrease your timers.