Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV data-group range

Hi everyone,

I have just one doubt regarding the data-group range for OTV. In some documentations I read that I have to configure the data-group range to be part of a SSM multicast address; while in other document seems that I can configure a ASM as well.

For example in this configuration guide I read that I can configure even a ASM multicast group address:

Cisco Nexus 7000 Series NX-OS OTV Configuration Guide

You should configure IGMP version 3 on both sides of the join interface link. The OTV edge devices send IGMP (S,G) joins to the edge devices in other sites in the same VPN. If you must configure IGMPv2, you must configure the last-hop router to do an ssm-translate, and the data-group range for the overlay interface must be SSM.

Edge Device 1
interface ethernet 2/1
 ip address 192.0.2.1/24
 ip igmp version 3
 no shutdown

vlan 5-10

feature otv 
otv site-identifier 256
interface overlay 1 
 otv control-group 239.1.1.1 
 otv data-group 239.1.1.0/29
 otv join-interface ethernet 2/1
 otv extend-vlan 5-10
 no shutdown

And in this other documentation I read that I must configure the data-group as SSM:

Nexus 7000 - OTV - Design and Configuration Example

1. Ensure that provider / WAN network supports IP Multicast. For IP Multicast, ASM / Bidir need to be supported for control plane communication and SSM for any data multicast traffic between sites.
!STEP 1:

feature otv

!STEP 2:
 interface Overlay1

!STEP 3:
 interface Ethernet1/9
   ip igmp version 3

!STEP 4:
  otv join-interface Ethernet1/9

!STEP 5:
   otv control-group 239.1.1.1
   otv data-group 232.1.1.0/24

!STEP 6:
   otv extend-vlan 110

!STEP 8:
 otv site-vlan 200

Could anyone help me to better understand if I have to use SSM for data-group or not?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Roberto Loiudice

1 Reply 1

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Roberto,

OTV requires PIM ASM (sparse-mode) for control-group and PIM SSM (also sparse-mode) for data-group.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: