cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV for 1km distance between data centers

Jeremy Dubrulle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm working on a data center new design. We have two equivalent DCs with 1km fiber between them. I've studied what is OTV but I'm not sure if OTV can be used for DCs with 1 km between them. I mean is it alright, without OTV, to design one Nexus 5k on each site doing vPC with FEX on each site? OTV is just for WAN interconnection, not MAN?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Menelaos Sazos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

1km is totally not a distance for a dark-fiber DCI. You don't need an overlay like OTV, better use just regular L2 links as if they were between neighbouring racks. Also, N5K is not capable of the OTV.

I would rather recommend you to have a pair of N5Ks on each site as L2-only devices and a distributed pair (e.g. one device on each site) of N5Ks or N7Ks on top of it with L3 feature-set.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Menelaos Sazos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

1km is totally not a distance for a dark-fiber DCI. You don't need an overlay like OTV, better use just regular L2 links as if they were between neighbouring racks. Also, N5K is not capable of the OTV.

I would rather recommend you to have a pair of N5Ks on each site as L2-only devices and a distributed pair (e.g. one device on each site) of N5Ks or N7Ks on top of it with L3 feature-set.

Jeremy Dubrulle
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the help.

Ok I agree with your design (with fabricpath), but for restricted budget, one N5K on each site, with FEX (with vPC) and fex-adapters, vm-fex, is a good design too?

For the technologies - yes, but from the redundancy standpoint - probably not, because if only one of the N5Ks is lost (maybe, due to the software upgrade), whole site is lost.

No because there will be vPC between each FEX and both N5K. So all FEX will be connected with redundancy to the two N5K

In such a case, you're good to go, if the fiber capacity is enough between the sites.

Ok thank you very much for the help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: