cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV service instance on ASR port channel

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have an ASR that is configured for OTV and is functioning correctly. I have a single connection on the ASR trunking to a downstream 5K that contains all the VLAN's. For redundancy I would like to take another gigabit interface on the ASR and trunk it to the second 5K. Then I thought I would configure a vPC on the 5K's and port channel the two interfaces on the ASR. I configured everything and I didn't have any problems until I tried adding the OTV service instance under the port channel interface on the ASR. I can't find any design docs on creating redundant connections from ASR's running OTV to downstream switches. What are you all doing for redundancy?

ASR1000-01(config)# int po2

ASR1000-01(config-if)#

ASR1000-01(config-if)# service instance 10 ethernet

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

ASR1000-01(config-if)# service?      

service-policy 

ASR1000-01(config-if)#

5 Replies 5

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Collin,

I wanted to know if you got this working please? I am in the same situation.

Kind Regards,

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

I ended up opening a TAC case and they stated that it is not possible and that redundancy should be asecond ASR and a pair of downstream switches. e.g. ASR-1 to NEXUS5K-1 and ASR-2 to NEXUS5K-2. Lame if you ask me

Anyone know if this situation has changed in the past two years or not? Thanks.

You can now put service instances on port-channels. Join interfaces can also be on channels. Still no loopbacks though.

Hi Colin, actually you can have the join interface as the loopback interface but is not supported by Cisco. Maybe in this version of code I was using at the time, we cannot create service instances under a port channel which would be a loss.

There is a video on YouTube, think I uploaded it a while ago showing that it works. On new firmware they have probably stopped us from doing that now.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.