Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV with multiple VRFs

Jordi Benet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we want to deploy OTV in order to interconnect 2 active/active DCs , but we have multiple VRFs classifying the different SVIs (VLANs). We have 2 Nexus 7706 in each DC.

We would like to know if this would be supported.

Example

VRF A --> Has SVI Vlan1,2

VRF B --> Has SVI Vlan3,4

Join interface that is Po100 to be virtualized into multiple logical sub-interfaces as many VRFs as we have, so:

int Po100.1 

vrf member A

int Po100.2 

vrf member B

and then configure 2 overlay interfaces in the same switch.

interface overlay 1

otv join-interface po100.1

otv extend-vlan 1-2 --> SVI in VRF A

interface overlay 2

otv join-interface po100.2

otv extend-vlan 3-4 --> SVI in VRF B

Traffic is always segregated and VRFs configuration is maintain. Note that the configuration is only showing the VRF part and it is not complete it.

Is this setup supported? in order to support VRFs we should do it differently? Here we are only showing one switch configuration and we would like to know if we would be able to load balance as we have 2 Nexus per DC.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

J

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jerry.bonner
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm,

I think you're over complicating it. OTV maintains separation at the layer 2 level. Just extend vlans 1-4 over the otv tunnel and apply the VRF's to the SVI's (layer 3) on the other side and you're done. Unless there's more than two datacenters in the mix I'm not sure why you would want to maintain two separate overlays. 

~jerry

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jerry.bonner
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm,

I think you're over complicating it. OTV maintains separation at the layer 2 level. Just extend vlans 1-4 over the otv tunnel and apply the VRF's to the SVI's (layer 3) on the other side and you're done. Unless there's more than two datacenters in the mix I'm not sure why you would want to maintain two separate overlays. 

~jerry

Thanks Jerry, you are right I was misunderstanding the OTV concept as traffic will not be mixed, it will stay layer 2 encapsulated inside layer 3 so no need for VRFs. I will just create an OTV VRF to isolate OTV traffic from the other type of traffic.

Thanks.

Regards,

J

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: