cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500/1.3.0 QoS setup for VoIP

jnriopel1
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for advice on configuring a SG500 connected to 10 desks each equipped with a VoIP phone in series with a PC.

In addition to the 10 phones and 10 PCs, there are 2 ports going to 2 internet routers.  I set up the routers so that one would have LAN-facing IP 192.168.1.1, and the other router have LAN=facing IP 192.168.1.2.  Then I configured all the phones with static IPs and a default GW of 192.168.1.2, and the PCs and a few other devices such as printers to use DHCP and have default GW 192.168.1.1

It all worked well for a few months, and people started complaining about the quality of phone conversations about a week ago, coinciding with the roll-out of a new web-based application used by 4-5 people.  I thought the setup I made would cause the phone traffic to not be impacted by other traffic since I felt the switch had enough bandwidth, and the separate internet feeds would cause the phone traffic to not be impacted by anything else.  Since I now see that I am having problems with my setup, I wonder if someone can advise me on how to prioritize my phones (all with IPs ranging from 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.80 such that they have highest priority.  I presume this can be done? 

1 Reply 1

Martin Silva
Level 1
Level 1

Hi  jnriopel1

The issue you have mentioned sounds like a  Qos VOICE-related 

Here is a link how to configure Qos on phione connected to  SG500 cisco switch

https://supportforums.cisco.com/video/12305226/sg500-series-switch-auto-voice-vlan-configuration-qos

Another 2 advices that you should consider   as critical, mandatories:

1.-PCs. laptops, MUST be in their own VLAN with different IP addressing than 

2.-Phones, IP phones must be in other VLAN and  other IP addressing

Example:

pcs, laptops =  vlan 10 (data voice)= ip addressing  for pcs =192.168.10.x    (254  FREE IPS FOR USING)

ip phones=      vlan 50(Voice vlan) = ip addressing  for pcs =192.168.50.x    (254  FREE IPS FOR USING)

Check the video to watch how  configure the voice vlan  besides the data vlan in ports of the switch.

Why im telling you all these things ?

Because DATA and VOICE traffic  should not be at same vlan and same ip addressing plan

Is a best practice , mandatory  separate voice traffic and data traffic    through using differents vlans