cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Single C220c Hyperflex server used as a plain C220c server just for a couple of VMS

craneman1
Level 1
Level 1

I have one C220c hyperflex server... that I would like to use as just a plain single C220 and put vms on it..(basically standalone mode) . I assume this should work... I will manage it via Vsphere client... and it is a temporary solution.....

Am I correct?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

From a hardware perspective, yes, the server can be run in standalone mode for CIMC.

When you reinstall ESXi (preferable from Cisco customized image you pull down from VMware site), the boot banks/partitions will be created on the SDcards/M.2 SSD (depends on whether we are talking about M4 or M5 HX server).

Unless you install a SAS raid controller, you will be forced to create datastores on the various stand alone jbod drives.

This of course means, if you loose a drive, you loose the whole datastore, and guestVMs running on it.

If you are fine with that scenario risk, then this should work for you.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming you are talking about a Hyperflex Converged node,,, those do not have raid controllers, but have a SAS HBA that provides drive jbod pass through..  You will not have storage redundancy  that scenario unless you add a supported raid controller.

Kirk...

It is a Cisco Hyperflex HXAF 220C....

so the question is can I use it as a standalone and just put vms on it? Just like a regular c220c
They dont sell this c220c separately... but I need it to just put vms on by itself.... and manage it through the vsphere client?
Just temporary solution... I cant find any docs saying it will or wont work... or is it mandatory it has to be managed by ucs and the cimc wont work/ dont think so
Thanks

From a hardware perspective, yes, the server can be run in standalone mode for CIMC.

When you reinstall ESXi (preferable from Cisco customized image you pull down from VMware site), the boot banks/partitions will be created on the SDcards/M.2 SSD (depends on whether we are talking about M4 or M5 HX server).

Unless you install a SAS raid controller, you will be forced to create datastores on the various stand alone jbod drives.

This of course means, if you loose a drive, you loose the whole datastore, and guestVMs running on it.

If you are fine with that scenario risk, then this should work for you.

Kirk...

Great answer!... thats just what I was looking for.. the caveats lol!
I will accept this as a solution thank you very much1!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: