Views
Helpful
Replies

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing

Udayv_TCS
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to get a fresh install of Windows Server 2016 working on UCS B-Series blade with UEFI and boot from SAN and seem to be hitting a brick wall.

The OS is installed and I can see the Windows Boot Manager entry and the EFI files are present. However, every boot loads the logo and then stops with:

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors. File: \Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Status: 0xc0000185

I have tried different media with no luck. I can see the file is present if I load a LiveCD.

This is connecting to a PURE storage array over FC and we already use boot from SAN for our ESXi hosts running on the same blade chassis.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

bre_cedwards
Beginner
Beginner

Were you able to resolve this issue? I'm seeing the same issue with UCS-B booting from a PURE SAN over FC.

Same issue here, UCS firmware on 4.1(2b).  

Recall a case a few years ago where that was related to compatibility: Pure storage only supports 4MB SCSI commands but Microsoft Windows sends 8MB SCSI commands during UEFI boot from SAN operations

Do you have the option to try booting legacy (non-uefi) ?

Kirk...

brandonayub023
Beginner
Beginner

Same issue here, anyone found a fix for it yet?

Regards. Team Storageboxdirect

marcpe
Beginner
Beginner

Same issue here with UCSM 4.2(1f), B200M4, Pure array on FC and Windows 2k19.

Impossible to boot windows after complete uefi install. Error 0xc000007c, ntoskernel missing or corrupt. I tried to repair the boot with a custom iso (vic driver injected), no result. I also tried to run "sfc /scannow" on C: partition from WinPE but no corruption found.

Had to switch to legacy boot type. I'm in a lab environment so it's not a big deal.

Anyone opened a case to Cisco or Pure ?

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers