Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC as a DCI

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I'm currently working on a datacentre deployment that consists of 2 x Nexus 9Ks in HQ and 2 x Nexus 9Ks in DR. The Nexus switches are connected together over a back-to-back vPC using 2 x 10GbE darkfibre links. Similar topology to the below:

vpc.png

This deployment is working without any issues, however, the SPT configuration is a bit messy with the VLANs that are stretched between sites. The root bridge for some VLANs are set in HQ with others in DR. There is no logic behind the configuration and needs to be tidied up.

I have read a number of Cisco documents that suggest that BPDU filter should be enabled on the DCI ports to prevent BPDUs from properagating between sites resulting in two seperate STP domains. Based on the fact that it is very unlikey for a third link to be installed between sites to result in a loop, is this generally a good practise and actually implemented in production? Is there any possibility that one of the DCI links can fallback into a standalone state resulting in a loop?

I would be very interested to hear from others about their thoughts/experiences with this?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4
The recommendation is mainly to isolate the layer-2 failure domains. Applying BPDU filter and filtering of FHRP hellos is to localize traffic to the respective DC and control traffic tromboning