Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPC over vdc and admin context without vpc

Hi all,

I've two Nexus C7010 with NX-OS 6.2(10).

I have some doubts about creating vpc on two new vdc.
The two nexus do not have the admin context but the default context. The vdc will then have to configure them from the default context that is currently operational and is delivering services in the datacenter.
The two nexus, at the time, have the feature vpc in disable state. There is no vpc between the two Nexus devices.

My questions are

1) By enabling the vpc feature in operation there are problems with the continuity of the service?
2) Is it possible to enable the vpc feature on a new vdc, even if it does not have a vpc configured in the default context? I would then have the default context without vPC and the various vdc with vpc configured. I wonder if it is possible or if there are limitations on it.

Thanks so much in advance

2 Replies 2

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
You can use only Layer 2 port channels in the vPC. A vPC domain is associated to a single Virtual Device Context (VDC), so all vPC interfaces belonging to a given vPC domain must be defined in the same VDC.

There are some limitations with the vPC and VDC's that can be found in the below link.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/interfaces/configuration/guide/b-Cisco-Nexus-7000-Series-NX-OS-Interfaces-Configuration-Guide-6x-Book/Configuring-VPCs.html?bookSearch=true

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
Also, you can have the feature under VDC#3 and not on the default VDC.