Replies

vpc

susim
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have the below setup 

test.png

Here vpc  running  between  leaves also ( vpc 200)  switches also . I am not sure this is ideal design 

The problem is s1 is down srv1 will not send  the traffic 

Please help 

Thanks 

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The problem is s1 is down srv1 will not send  the traffic 

as long as they are different domains that is a normal setup.

as per the diagram, the server does not have dual-homed (its orphan port) - But the path is resilient and able to reach the server if your VLAN and Routing stretched..

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

Thanks for your reply .actually the server is an old appliance. It has only one port. if the switch s1 is down the traffic  should flow through sw2 then s2 ? 

What is the pros and cons of the above design comparing to the below design vpc2.png

in this case, it should not get outage, what is the test case here, real failure or creating failure scenarios ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to be more specific about the problem you have:

1. Can the server ping the gateway?

2. Can the server ping something in the same subnet/vlan?

3. Can the server ping something in different vlan?

4. Is it the only (single homed) server affected when S1 goes down?

5. What happens if you move the srv to sw2? Does the problem persists?

6. What's the gateway configured on the server and where and how it is configured? (example: is the GW the HSRP VIP?)

Cheers,

Sergiu

Hi @Sergiu.Daniluk 

here is the test I carried out 

I am not sure this is a coincidence or not. I shutdown the peer link , After that I removed  both the members of  vpc101.

I lost access to the loopback ip and also I  noticed all the links connected from the N9K primary became orange  including the links connected to access layer 

This time i did not test the server access 

Please advise 

pa.png

In my case  vlan does not have interface  ip on the nexus switch .the ip's are configured on the firewall 

Thanks 

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Shutting down the peer-link is not the same as testing a reload of a peer. Also, removing a port-channel from vPC, it will enforce different forwarding mechanism compared with vpc enabled devices.

I would suggest you leave the vPC configured and up, and simply reload one by one the vpc peers.

Let us know of the results.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: