Views
Helpful
Replies

VXLAN multiple entry points

neil_titchener
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm looking into setting up a VXLAN between two Data centres separated by e layer 3 network.  Each DC is a classic Cisco topology i.e. Core (2 L3switches), Distribution(2 switches) and Access(many).  My question is is it ok to have VNIs on each of the Distribution switches and in this classic topology are the Distribution switches the right place to put the VNIs.  Having a read through VXLN configuration my idea is to EVPN with IP Anycast to connect DCs.  Also, Should I create new VLans dedicated for VXLAN or is there no problems with adding VXLAN to existing server subnets?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Basically I don't see any issues having your vxlan being built in your distribution switches.

Also you can use your actual vlans or create new ones, it's to you and to what you want to achieve.

Can we get more details on your actual architecture? What are the type of devices you're using? Where are SVIs for your actual servers vlans?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Basically I don't see any issues having your vxlan being built in your distribution switches.

Also you can use your actual vlans or create new ones, it's to you and to what you want to achieve.

Can we get more details on your actual architecture? What are the type of devices you're using? Where are SVIs for your actual servers vlans?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Thanks you Francesco, that was my thought.  The architecture we have at one site is a standard Cisco three tier with 8 pairs of N93k access switches connecting to two N95k Distribution switches using VPCs with all SVIs on the N95k switches.  the second site is not suitable for VXLAN in either architectures or hardware so that site will be upgraded.  If there are two entry points for VXLAN, one on each distribution switch, how is load balancing achieved as from what I've read BGP will hold ARP tables for endpoints so will both VTEPs at each site hold ARP entries for all endpoints and load balancing/distribution is achieved by whoever replies to an ARP request first?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: