cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VXLAN nve infra vlans and IR design limitations

marc-berger
Level 1
Level 1

We are going to be deploying a smaller data center vxlan design with basically two spines along with four leaf switches which will be paired in a vpc design at the leaf layer. I have read the best practice for backup routing across the peer link is established using the nve infra vlans to enable backup routing across the peer link in this case of a upstream or member port failure. Is there any diff using the nve infra vlans to establish this vs say a dedicated layer 3 link between the vpc peers or just an ordinary layer 3 svi between the peers? It seems like the nve infra vlans is basically a layer 3 svi but only for specific models?

My second question is I am trying to determine for BUM replication using multicast vs ingress replication. I have viewed video's from cisco live that state multicast is the best practice. It seems like if the current data center setup has multicast traffic to use the multicast to replicate BUM traffic?. If not, to use ingress replication (IR) as this may be a better option if it is a smaller design? However, cisco has stated that there is scale limitations using IR. The only limitations I have been able to find are that there is a 254 vtep limitation. I wanted to see what if any other limitations there are using IR? I am leaning towards IR but have to verify if the customer is using any multicast routing in there current data center.

0 Replies 0