cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2948G-GE-TX switch, fiber uplinks

WILLIAM STEGMAN
Level 4
Level 4

I'm trying to determine what fiber connectors to use for a new WS2948G-GE-TX switch I recently purchased.

The documentation provided with the equipment and on cisco's website is too vague. The best I can come up with is that is uses a SFP type connector, maybe a MT-RJ Fiber-Optic Connector, but I'm guessing. A picture of the switch I have is attached, the same kind of GBIC module is on the lower right corner. Please help me determine what kind of fiber is necessary to uplink the switches.

thank you,

William Stegman

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CAT2948G-GE-TX comes with 48 10/100/1000 Base T ports and 4 SFP based Gigabit ethernet ports.

You will need fiber which has LC connectors.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps606/products_data_sheet09186a00801cfafe.html

Thank you. Do you know what type receiver I should be using? I'll be connecting each switch to another 2948G-GE-TX and 1 3550. I see I have the option of single mode or multimode, but am not sure what is recommended when uplinking switches. Since it is a short distance, should I go with Gigabit Ethernet SFP, LC connector, SX transceiver?

You can Multimode fiber with SX SFP GBICs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card