Platform: cisco WS-C2950C-24, Capabilities: Switch IGMP

Interface: FastEthernet0/0, Port ID (outgoing port): FastEthernet0/25

Holdtime : 178 sec

Version :

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(9)EA1, RELEASE

SOFTWARE (

fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 24-Apr-02 06:57 by antonino

advertisement version: 2

Protocol Hello: OUI=0x00000C, Protocol ID=0x0112; payload len=27,

value=0000000

0FFFFFFFF010221FF0000000000000­00AB72F7C80FF0000

VTP Management Domain: ''

Duplex: full

-------------------------

So it looks like it has been assigned a hostname, so someone has been

in the switch at least once.

Is there a way to assign this switch an address via the router it is

connected to?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame Guru Hall of Fame Guru
Hall of Fame Guru

A switch does not need an IP address to operate at layer 2 as your message shows this switch has been in place for a while and is switching frames. You do need an IP address to manage the switch and to access it remotely. As far as I know without an IP address assigned it is not possible to access the switch remotely. The access to a switch which does not have an IP address is through its console port.

There may be one possibility of a way to work around this. If someone can connect the console port of the switch and the AUX port of the router, you may be able to do a reverse telnet through the AUX port of the router to the switch. If that works you can configure an IP address on the switch through the reverse telnet. Otherwise I believe that someone with a PC will have to go to the switch, physically connect to the console port and make the config change.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

That's kind of what I figured. The switch and router are not close enough to eachother for a rollover cable for reverse telnet (router and switch are in different rooms), looks like a road trip for me!

yes dear,

it will be a road trip for u and in future keep it in mind that if you don't want to give in the IP initially to the switch never forget to connect the console port of the switch to the aux port of the router and make the reserve telnet config on switch also.

enjoy ur trip.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers