Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 stack IOS version / upgrade problems

chrisayres
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am playing around with 3750 stacks and the IOS versions they are running and trying to get them to do what the docs say.

In particular I have added a switch to a stack with a minor compatability error IOS. I would of expected the stack manager to find a valid .bin file with the correct IOS and uprgaded the IOS to the right version, but it didn't. So on the stack I used the "archive tar /create" command to create a tar file and tried again but it still didn't work.

Separately I have been trying to upgrade an entire stack to a new IOS using the "archive download-sw" command.

I first create a tar file from another stack using the "archive tar /create" and put this on my tftp server.

Next I used "archive download-sw /overwrite /reload" command to tftp it to the stack I was trying to upgrade.

When I do this the stack loads the tar file from the tftp server twice then I get the below error message

examining image...

extracting info (579 bytes)

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

Any ideas

Regards

Chris Ayres

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Make sure that the image is the right one, if you are trying to archive a bin file, it will fail. If you are sure and confirmed that the image is indeed a .tar file. Make sure that the TFTP server is not the problem. You can try uploading the running config to the TFTP server and see if that will b successful. I have seen many times that the archive times out and then give error such as follows:

%Error opening flash:update/info (No such file or directory)

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

Roberto,

I have progressed a bit with this since I posted the question.

Instead of using the "archive tar /create" the tar I am using the "archive upload" to archive it directly to the tftp server. I can then use the "archive download" to copy the archive onto the stack I want to upgrade and it works OK.

I am still having problems getting the stack to automatically recognise that a newly installed switch has a minor version error and to automatcally upgrade the IOS.

If I tftp the tar file that I created above onto the stack and then install a new switch I get a message saying that a suitable file has been found and that I can use the

"archive download-sw /destination-system 2 flash1:c3750-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4.tar" command to upgrade the switch.

But I cannot get it to do it automatically

Instead of using the "archive tar /create" the tar I am using the "archive upload" to archive it directly to the tftp server. I can then use the "archive download" to copy the archive onto the stack I want to upgrade and it works OK.

>>>you're allright and approve your procedure.

I am still having problems getting the stack to automatically recognise that a newly installed switch has a minor version error and to automatcally upgrade the IOS.

>>> The best way is to designate the highest priority number to the switch having the good IOS in a stack. This way you could ensure that the added switch will not be elected as master and then will receive the IOS of the Master you've already designated.

Command: switch [number] priority [1-15]

15 is the highest priority. The switch having 15 as the priority number will be elected and relected as the stack master!

If I tftp the tar file that I created above onto the stack and then install a new switch I get a message saying that a suitable file has been found and that I can use the

"archive download-sw /destination-system 2 flash1:c3750-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4.tar" command to upgrade the switch.

But I cannot get it to do it automatically

>> You've not to do it manually.

Mohamed BEN HASSINE

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card