cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4506 Chassis w Suo2+ initial setup

ROBERT CROOKS
Level 1
Level 1

I received a new Cat4506 chassis and opened the box to find that I have no manuals. After searching the docs online I am frustrated that I can't find anything that will guide me in doing the initial IP setup. I did find notes on how to setup an in-band ip on vlan1 or using a loopback, but I still am not able even to telnet to the chassis.

The sup engine has IOS 12.2(18) and I was curious if I need to to switch from IOS to catOS if all I want to do is use it as a switch with no L3 routing.

I would prefer to use any web management utilities that are available, wheter that be CNA or CV, but again I don't know which is better.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Can you paste a sh run out of your configs.

Under the config, there should be a vlan 1 interface which should be configured with an ip address in order to manage the box.

int vlan 1

no shut

ip add 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

enable secret cisco --> sets enable password.to cisco

line vty 0 4

login

password cisco ----> sets telnet password to cisco

Unless using DHCP, configure a static ip from same subnet 10.1.1.2 on your pc or laptop and telnet to the switch.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Can you paste a sh run out of your configs.

Under the config, there should be a vlan 1 interface which should be configured with an ip address in order to manage the box.

int vlan 1

no shut

ip add 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

enable secret cisco --> sets enable password.to cisco

line vty 0 4

login

password cisco ----> sets telnet password to cisco

Unless using DHCP, configure a static ip from same subnet 10.1.1.2 on your pc or laptop and telnet to the switch.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus