Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4506 Switch compatibility with GLC-GE-100FX SFP

We have a 4506 switch with IOS 15.1. This switch doesn't support our GLC-GE-100FX modules for our 7962 VoIP phones. An interface status shows "media unrecognized".

Working with this switch, what options do we have to make those SFP's work with this switch? Thank you for any assistance with this question.

5 Replies 5

Mark Sparling
Level 4
Level 4

What line card & SUP are you using in your Catalyst 4506?

WS-X4748-SFP-E
WS-X4724-SFP-E
WS-X4712-SFP-E

GLC-GE-100FX

15.2(1)E

WS-X4640-CSFP-E
WS-X4624-SFP-E
WS-X4612-SFP-E

GLC-GE-100FX

15.1(1)SG

Looks like WS-X4448-GB-SFP

Version looks 15.0(IR)SGS

You are right those modules aren't supported on that line card.  You can try the unsupported modules command but it might not work and then your only options is new line card or GLC-SX-MM= modules.  Quick question the 7962 IP phone has copper port or do you have the CIS version that is fiber?  The unsupported command for third party modules in Cisco switches is 

type this first - no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid 
Then type this second - service unsupported-transceiver
Remove SFP module, shutdown/no shutdown the port, insert back the SFP module.

Please let me know if this helped you.

Greeting Mark,

The 7962 phones we have do have a copper option in addition to fiber (does have an RJ-45 jack on it). We had to move our 7962's off of a 3750-X on which they worked, due to network redesign and just ran into this issue.

So we are pursuing different options from upgrading IOS, to media converters and even the possibility of investing in new phones that are 1000Mb capable (haven't gotten that far into researching that though). The major goal is to get to the least costly solution.

So I really do appreciate your suggestions and we will let you know when we try the unsupported module option and if it's successful.

Thanks again!

Hello Mark,

Unfortunately that did not work. However I appreciate your help on this and will followup if there is any additional updates on this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: