cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 inline power cards resetting when lightning strikes close to the offic

bblaze1
Level 1
Level 1

I am here in sunny florida where we have severe lightning storms almost daily. when the Lightning hits close random ports on the switch reset, not all line cards only a few. But all ports on the specific cards reset. The supervisors stay up with no problem and the Line card does not reset completely. It just shuts down and restarts the phones. Has anyone else seen this problem? And yes the switch is grounded.

6 Replies 6

nikhil_m
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Same problem occurs with me.

Did you get any replies for this?

I would appreciate if you can let me know if you got any work around.

Nikh.

No we have the 6500 design team looking at the problem. Cisco is claiming to never have heard of this, I guess we are the only 2. I will let you know if I can find anything out.

Can you open a TAC case for this issue. We have engaged our Development teams(after Sears reported this) to work on this. Let me know the TAC case number(in a email) once you do this

Nikh,

That model Line cards do you have in your switch? I want to see if we are running the same model of card. I am using the 6348's

you might want to check your ground resistance because we have seen these kind of things happening on badly grounded systems witch have a huge antenna connected thanks to a bad connection futheron the line.

rnixon
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure your ground system is up to the task. I lived and worked in Central Florida for a few years and bad grounds can cause all kinds of havoc. All grounds within a structure should be bonded (electrically) to the ground at the building electric service entrance. The equipment (all of it, don't forget modems and CSU/DSUs), even the racks need to be bonded together and bonded to a good earth ground.

Russ

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card