Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1s compliancy

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

It seems latest IOS claim support for IEEE 802.1s. Nonetheless when using sniffer pro on those BPDUs they are not recognized as proper 802.1s packets (digest does not seems ok and some fields are not set according to the standard).

Also, it seems that only MSTI information applicable to the port are sent versus all MSTI known to the MST Bridge (mention in the standard).

The question: is this implementation compliant to the approved standard ?

2 Replies 2

raymong
Level 4
Level 4

802.1s is supported in 12.1.13E and higher. Here is a url with more information on configuring STP and 802.1s MST:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e71a.html

Not applicable

Following this link I found the following statement:

Releases 12.1(11b)EX and later releases support MST. MST in this release is based on the draft version of the IEEE standard. 802.1s for MST is an amendment to 802.1Q.

Can the discrepancies I saw (digest, but also MSTI information) due to the fact that this is not the approved standard but just a draft ?

At that point I'm also questioning IEEE on this subject. It seems that IEEE would like to send all MSTI on all ports regardless of their VLAN assignment (or force the use of GVRP) ...

Any chance to have some thought from the Product Marketing here ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card