Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5508-X Internet Access

niLuxx
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco Community,

I will start my new job in just few days and one of my first tasks will be the installation of a new central network. Our company is very small, but will need a high security standard. In this regards I decided to order a Cisco ASA 5508-X for the following reasons:

=> VPN option

=> VLAN support

=> Firewall

=> Switching

Until now we had a standard router (standard product from our provider => FritzBox or something like that). I'm completely new to the Cisco products and thought the ASA 5508-X can be also used for Internet-Access. That means that I can insert the settings of our Internet-Provider (and can remove our old small standard router). Is that assumption wrong? I got a little bit worried as I have read, that this product is just a Firewall and maybe cannot be used for direct Internet-Access. Is it required in this case to connect the Cisco with the router of my provider?

Sorry for these stupid questions, but as I have said, I'm completely new to these kind of products.

Greetings

niLuxx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

you should be fine to connect directly to the iOS modem as the outside wan link and use another interface to connect inside for your lan

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello

you should be fine  - review the following basic setup guide for further information 

5508x

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

I also just saw a hint:

"Connect the GigabitEthernet 1/1 (outside) interface to your ISP/WAN modem or other outside device. By default, the IP address is obtained using DHCP, but you can set a static address during initial configuration."

It seems to me, that you have the possibility:

1. to get IP via DHCP from ISP (I think I have to register the MAC upfront)

2. to use PPPoE for authentication (I saw that in a ASDM screenshot for ASA)

Greetings

Richard

Hello

you should be fine to connect directly to the iOS modem as the outside wan link and use another interface to connect inside for your lan

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: