Views
Helpful
Replies

Benefits of MBGP

y.manirko
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to enable multicast between two PIM-SM multicast domains. Currently these domains exchange only unicast traffic via two pairs EBGP piers. Both pairs advertise the same sets of prefixes to each other. I am going to enable MSDP peering between RP in Domain1 and RP in Domain2. Additionally I am going to enable PIM-SM on all the BGP peering interfaces. I do not care which path multicast traffic from Domain1 will flow to Domain2 and vice versa. It can be ether first pair of EBGP piers, or second pair. Why would I want to configure MBGP in this case? If I do not want to control and redistribute multicast traffic between BGP paths, how MBGP can be beneficial for me?

Thank you,

Yuri

1 Reply 1

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

MBGP is an enhanced BGP that carries IP multicast routes.

MBGP is useful when you want a link dedicated to multicast traffic.

In this way you can limit which resources are used for which traffic.

For eg:.if you want all multicast traffic exchanged at one network access point (NAP), this is very useful.

MBGP allows you to have a unicast routing topology different from a multicast routing topology.

Thus, you have more control over your network and resources.

Coming to your scenario, since you do not want a dedicated path for the multicast traffic, it is not really needed.

But, the following are the additional benefits provided by MBGP.

*A network can support incongruent unicast and multicast topologies.

*A network can support congruent unicast and multicast topologies that have different policies

*A network can carry routing information for multiple network layer protocol address families.

*A network that is backward compatiblerouters that support the Multiprotocol extensions can interoperate with routers that do not support the extensions.

*All of the routing policy capabilities of BGP can be applied to MBGP.

*All of the BGP commands can be used with MBGP..

So depending on your requirements and comparing it with the benefits, you can decide upon whether to use MBGP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card