cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot buffersize - gone in 12.2

raarons
Level 1
Level 1

According to the documentation, the "boot buffersize" command has no effect in version 12.2.

A customer has a 3620 router running 12.2, which has now exhausted NVRAM and so is booting its config from tftp. Now the problem is that the config file is so large that the router cycles on boot complaining

SYSTEM INIT. INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO BOOT THE IMAGE!

Under previous versions of IOS, I suspect this could have been fixed with "boot buffersize". How can I fix this in 12.2 if the command no longer functions?

3 Replies 3

mljohnson
Level 4
Level 4

I suspect that the 3620 does not have enough memory to even run 12.2, although if you remove the tftp boot config and the 3620 boots up fine then it may be that there is not enough memory to load 12.2 AND the tftp config. Aside from upgrading the memory, you might try to store the config in flash, and copy it from there.

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

How much memory does the 3620 have and what exact version and feature set of 12.2 are they using?

Perhaps their config can be tuned?

Has 48Mb DRAM, 16Mb Flash. Storing and running IOS is not the issue, here. It's storing and loading the config. I can set the router to boot its config from tftp, but it still won't initialise properly - it just downloads the file then chokes halfway through parsing/building it.

The config contains numerous dialer interfaces, all with lots of superfluous statements, and all basically clones of each other with just different chap statements. I have told the customer that the solution to the problem is to re-engineer the config, probably using virtual templates, but they won't listen.

I guess there really isn't an alternative - its re-engineering time for the customer.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card