cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cable Modem and T1 on same network

jgneal2446
Level 1
Level 1

OK - I am stumped - I have very little experience with cable modems, and need some help. I have just joined an organization that uses a T1 to connect to a network in another city (home office). We use a MetaFrame server to share certain software - thus,

we use the T1 and a router to connect to each other. We use a cable modem at the 'HOME OFFICE' but it is very unreliable (power outage, poor service, etc.) We want to install a cable modem at this facility (to be used as the primary internet portal). I need to share the cable modem in this building only, yet still use the t1 line to connect us to our "home" facility servers. We use XPHome on our clients and static IPs. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

I am not able to fully understand your question. However, you could look up the Cable Modem configuration examples at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk86/tk89/tech_configuration_examples_list.html and see if you find them useful. HTH.

I am a bit unsure of what you are trying to do as well, but it sounds like you want to use one router to connect to the remote office with a T1, and you want a cable modem to connect to the internet.

So, when you have work traffic, use the T1, when you have internet traffic, use the cable modem. Correct?

If that is the case, your router that is closest to your lan, will be the router that makes the routing decisions. Default route, 0.0.0.0 go to the cable, a.b.c.d, go to the T1 router.

Is that what you are trying to do?

Mike

Yes! I just feel like I am making this much more difficult than it really is! Is there a solution that I am overlooking! Thanks for your help!

Ya, we are probably over working this.

Do you have a diagram of the network you have and one that you want?

I see it like this, hopefully this will make sense

T1 Router>>>>>>>>>Remote Office

Corp

Cable Router>>>>>>>>Internet

You will just need a device that makes routing descision at the corp office. What is your existing T1 router? Do you have the cable modem yet? Is the cable on a modem or a router?

Mike