Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 4006 Sup III - Error msg. and port status change

TalonKarrde
Level 1
Level 1

Howdy,

We've got a Cat 4006 which was running a supervisor II module until recently. We replaced the SupII with a SupIII and converted the configuration across, added EIGRP routing and so forth, and everything works AOK.

Theres a couple of small nuances that I cant find any information on at this point, so if you can shed some light on it, that would be teriffic:

1. When a port on the chassis is brough up/down (eg. plug in a PC to a port/unplug a PC from a port) there is no message displayed on a PC connected via console cable. By this I mean with most switches you would expect to see a "Interface FastEthernet1/14 has changed state to up" when that port goes active. But instead nothing is displayed. Tried it via telnet as well with term mon enabled, but still nothing.

2. When the unit reboots, one of the final things it displays as part of the boot process is:

00:00:34: %C4K_IOSSYS-7-INVALIDVALUE: Platform Value Type 60 not handled, returning a default of 0

If anyone can offer some advice on these issues it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For issue number 1, we do not log link up/down messages in IOS based CAT4k, 6k. You need to enable "logging event link-status" under the interfaces if you want to see link up/down messages. You can use the range command if you wish to do for a group of ports

I did not find anything for the second issue. Can you paste the last few lines of boot up sequence?

Thanks alot for your response, I would just like to clarify that the logging event link-status displays events to screen and does not attempt to buffer millions of events and exhaust the switches memory, etc..

I will try to get the other information, but due to the nature of this network, switch resets are very difficult to schedule.

Thanks again for the info.

"logging event link-status" just prints link/up down messages as they happen. Nothing to be to concerned of in a stable network with not many link up/downs

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card