cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4500

victorft10
Level 1
Level 1

I want to know if i can know the IP address or the MAC address are connected in each port from Catalyst 4500 and what´s the command to check this informatión.

4 Replies 4

skarundi
Level 4
Level 4

here is an example on how to do that. Requires that the 4500 is the default gateway for the IPs you are looking for.

-> Gi2/1 has a PC with an IP of 1.1.1.1 and MAC address of 0000.1111.2222, and the default gateway for this IP is 1.1.1.2 ( the 4500 vlan 12 interface )

On the 4500 issue the "show mac-address dynamic int gi2/1" to get the mac address.

Then issue the "show ip arp | include 0000.1111.2222" to get the IP address.

If you have the IP and want to know the MAC, just apply the process in reverse.

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

If your switch has CatOS, the command to find all MAC addresses seen through port x/y is "show cam dynamic x/y" If the switch has IOS, use the command "show mac-address-table interface type x/y".

To find the IP address for a device on a given port, go to a router (the MSFC in the 4500, if you have one) and enter the command "show ip arp (mac-address)" for the mac address you found on the port.

HTH

Mark

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depending on how new your router is and what code (12.0) or above and if it is running cef , you can on the MSF itself do a "show adjacency vlan XXX detail" and this will give you the ip address , mac address and even the dns name of the pc it is connected to . This is all stored in the cef tables . I have found this to be "Very" handy for one stop shopping for this info . If you are looking for this on on router you can just do a "show adjacency "interface" detail . You would have to cross reference this info with the mac tables of the switch below to see what pc is connected to what port .

Thanks for your help. The problem is that we don´t have router module in Catalyst 4500.