cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Gigabit module compatibility with Giga NIC

umetsu
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using a Catalyst6509.But a link between Catalyst6509(WS-X6516-GE-TX module) and Server(Broadcom Gigabit NIC) doesn't work well as gigabit speed(1000/Full).Therefore,I changed the Network communication mode from "Auto Negotiation" to "100/Full" each other.Then,it worked well.However,I want to use this link as gigabit speed.How should I fix this problem ? The NIC driver is the latest.

Please give me an advice or comment etc asap.

5 Replies 5

robphill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sounds like a bug or an inherent incompatibility. Might want to open a TAC case and see if there is a bug open or anything they might know about such problems.

Good Luck

-Robert

kbasler
Level 1
Level 1

You mentioned that you changed from auto/auto to 100/full. Have you tried forcing the speed and duplex to 1000/full?

Thanks for your reply.

Should I change the network mode from Autonegotiation to "speed 1000" and "duplex full" forcely on the Cat6509 ? In the server side(Broadcom NIC),I have to set Autonegotiation(There's NOT a speed 1000 and full.).

Does it work well on this ?

Then,

speed [1000 | nonegotiate]

On the above configuration, what does "nonnegotiate" mean ?

Is there any bug on IOS c6sup2_rp software(c6sup2_rp-PSV-M),Version 12.1(22)E2,Early Develoyment Release Software(fc1) related to Giga NIC autonegotiation ?

I couldn't find on the bug navigator.The module is WS-X6516-GE-TX.

If anyone knows,please let me know asap.

The nonegiotiate command turns off dynamic trunk negiotiation on the port. I have had to use it in the past to get non-Cisco switches to establish a connection with a Cisco switch. So, that is something that you may want to try but I have never seen an issue like this with that module before. Also, I would not think that the software that you are running on your MSFC would affect the lincards. The line cards would be controlled by the Supervisor and CatOS software running on it. Also, if you do hard set the port to a specific duplex make sure to do the same on the NIC as well.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card