cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Switch (6000 series) help!

jonathan.peck
Level 1
Level 1

greetings. i am still a fledgling CCNA...i have inherited a rather interesting "mess". i have clients plugged into a 6000 series switch. however the cables are a mess and a half...and no documentation too boot. i am trying to figure out which ip address goes to which port (for the wires are not plugged in where the computer says they are)...is there a specific command that will show me which port is assigned which ip address? i thank you in advance for any assistance.

5 Replies 5

jamarasingham
Level 1
Level 1

Would you be able to post the configuration of the switch. Can you also post the output to the, show mod

command, from the switch.

minielsen
Level 2
Level 2

Campus Manager can help you with this giving you an overview of both layer 2 and 3. You can export the CM Toplogy Manager's maps in Visio format for documentation.

Michael.

jonathan.peck
Level 1
Level 1

for those who offered assistance i say thank you!

for those interested the commands that i was given that solved my problem were

#show cam dynamic

and

#show ip arp

i was able to map my ports using the mac and ips....now i only need to rewire the closet..should it be my new year's resolution? ha!

happy holidays and merry christmas......

bigjess
Level 1
Level 1

Jonathan,

Just so you know, you can run a show cam dyn 3/14 (for port 3/14) and it will show you the mac that is in the arp cache for that port. Then you can telnet to the router on that subnet, run a sh arp, and match mac to ip. It's kind of tedious but I've had to do it my self.

david.hubbard
Level 1
Level 1

If your Cat6k has an MSFC (router) you can session into the module, or telnet if there is an ip address assigned to the management vlan. Once telnetted into the MSFC you can use the command "show ip arp" and use the IP address of the workstation in question. This will give you the mac address of the workstation, you can then use the "show cam mac_addr" command with the mac_addr in the format of 00-12-ba.... (using the mac address you learned earlier). This will identify the port the workstation is connected to, or the port of the trunk of the switch that the workstation is plugged into if trunking.

The "show ip arp" should also work on a router plugged into the switch if you don't have an MSFC configured for routing.

Hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card