cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst switch with VLAN

ayoussef82
Level 1
Level 1

catalyst switch with VLAN information that must be automatically distrubuted to other catalyst switches in my network.

What conditions must be met in order for the VLANs configured on the other switches?

A. The switch that will share the VLAN information must be in the VTP Server mode.

B. The switches must be in the same VTP domain.

C. The switch that will share the VLAN information must be configured as root bridge.

D. The switches must be configured to use the same VTP version.

E. The switches must be configured to use the same STP version.

F. The switches must be configured to use the same type of ID tagging.

1 Reply 1

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

these conditions must be met:

A. The switch that will ORIGINATE (i.e. you are able to configure changes on it) the VLAN information must be in the VTP Server mode.

B. The switches must be in the same VTP domain. (And the same VTP password configured, if used.)

G. There must be trunks connecting the switches. VLAN1 is used for VTP transport, but doesn't have to be enabled on the trunks (but I'd recommend to enable it).

Not necessary:

C. The switch that will share the VLAN information must be configured as root bridge.

D. The switches must be configured to use the same VTP version.

- When you enable VTP ver 2 on the VTP server, it should be enabled on the other switches automatically, i.e. all the switches should be VTP ver 2 capable if you want to use it.

F. The switches must be configured to use the same

type of ID tagging.

- You can use ISL on some trunks and 802.1q on other trunks, doesn't matter if you don't use extended range VLANs (VLAN ID > 1024).

E. The switches must be configured to use the same STP version.

- Do you mean STP mode (RSTP, PVST+)? All switches should be running the same mode, but it has no relation to VTP.

Regards,

Milan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card