Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1700 connected to Satellite transceiver for 'net access

goodmang
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are trialling a internet access Satellite for BT. We have attached our own 1700 router to the Gilat Sat box via a cross-over cable and can browse the net over this, albeit very slowly.

Tech Support in BT told us to route via the ip port 9877 on the Sat box - which we did via a laptop directly connected (the Sat Box has a dhcp server) - i.e. set the Int. Explorer proxy settings to "ip adddress of sat box":9877 - this resulted in connection speeds about 20 times quicker (the 9877 port uses different packet sizes and various compression algorithms).

The big question is then :- how do we get the 1700 router to route via this port ? - and so enable this quicker access to the LAN and not just a single PC.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards

Gavin

1 Reply 1

mljohnson
Level 4
Level 4

If I understand correctly, it sounds like you are saying that the 1700 has to translate the source (or destination?) port to 9877 for all packets that pass through the 1700. This sounds strange, since if it is a requirement of the Sat box then it should be doing the translation. But the only way that I can see to do this is with PAT or NAT, and both are described pretty well in the online documentation.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card