cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2950 Line VTY

alex.tranauskas
Level 1
Level 1

Currently the company I work for uses telnet a lot for accessing our inventory Database. So each computer has an application to open a telnet session to our database server. Once the session is initiated they log in via AD credentials and can view the inventory. 

My question is if I enable a VTY password on a cisco 2950 switch would this create a password prompt for these telnet sessions in addition to the Active directory log in previously stated? As well I noticed the 2950 series has 16 VTY "channels" or lines I'm guessing; would this mean only 16 active telnet connections are supported by this switch? Or am I confusing VTY with specifically remote configuration for the switches/routers?

Thank you much!

-Alex

2 Replies 2

Hi Alex

So assuming i've understood your setup correct users are connecting to an inventory database server using telnet.

If that's correct then setting a VTY password would not impact the users data as it is data flowing through the switch.

The VTY line config's are for telnet sessions to the switch for admin/config purposes and don't impact data flowing through the device. 

You are correct about the number of VTY lines however if your 2950 image supports it I would encourage you to use SSH rather then telnet for managing a switch. 

I would suggest reading 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security-vpn/secure-shell-ssh/4145-ssh.html

This discussion has been reposted from Small Business Switches to the Other Network Infrastructure Subjects community.