cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3600--raising the priority of the protocols

routergal
Level 1
Level 1

On our CBAND router (Cisco 3600) I would like to raise the priority for the following protocols:

W2K/W2K3 RPC (Remote Procedure Call)

DNS

SMTP

In those particular orders. These will increase priority and hopefully response times for the core set of protocols.

I need to find out whether we can do this with the current version of IOS running on our CBAND router, which is a 3600. We would need to apply these to 2 separate routers. I recall that Cisco Designed and programmed the TCP/IP core of W2K/W2K3 so I am sure there are some very good white papers out there on just this configuration. Can you help me out?

2 Replies 2

Hello,

you could use Class-Based Weighted Fair Queuing to accomplish this and to prioritize those 3 protocols. Define three classes and configure the policy, it would look as following:

class-map RPC

match protocol rpc (or MS-RPC, or port 593)

class-map DNS

match protocol DNS

class-map SMTP

match protocol SMTP

!

policy-map CBAND

class RPC

set precedence 5

class DNS

set precedence 4

class SMTP

set precedence 3

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

service-policy input CBAND

The options you have regarding the protocols that can be matched depends on your IOS version. AFAIK, you need at least IP Plus for the extended match options to appear.

HTH,

GP

smif101
Level 4
Level 4

Are you links over utilized? One thing people don't understand is providing QoS on a link when there is verry little traffic isn't going to help anything. Only when the link is fighting for bandwidth is this going to help. I would guess there is something else wrong with your servers or configurations that is the real culprit here.