cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS 12.4 vs 15.1

GuoPatrick02
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, I heard that IOS 15 is basically 12 with more features. Are all the commands still the same or are there changes in the command structures for certain parts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is true. Same commands will work

I am talking about the new features only. Just make sure that you practice only commands which is present in 12.4.

Chances are very less of using commands which are not supported in 12.4. Just mentioend that rare risk for you to be aware.

If you just practice only referring 12.4 command line there is no issues

Thanks

Raju

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Raju Sekharan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

This is a higher version of IOS code. There can be slight change in some command syntax. Otherwise syntax is going to be same like in 12.4.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps8802/ps10587/ps10591/ps10621/qa_c67_561940.html

Thanks

Raju

Ehh I was lookin more towards if "I could use 15.1 IOS to study for the CCIE lab exam"

You can use 15.1 for practicing.  But if possible try to use 12.4 itslef so that you don't practice some new commands which is supported in 15.1 but not in 12.4

Thanks

Raju

Ehh I'm kinda confused. Do you know that there's some differences or is that what you think? Somebody told me that IOS 15 and 12 are the same commands its just that 15 has a few new features. Not saying I disagree or anything but I just want accurate information

That is true. Same commands will work

I am talking about the new features only. Just make sure that you practice only commands which is present in 12.4.

Chances are very less of using commands which are not supported in 12.4. Just mentioend that rare risk for you to be aware.

If you just practice only referring 12.4 command line there is no issues

Thanks

Raju

OHH lol I thought you were talkin about old commands too. Thanks for the answers

You are welcome

hi Rajs, just want to add on ask. how about 2811, migration from 12.4T to 15.1 can be direct? any configuration need to be change? thanks

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Patrick Guo wrote:

Hey, I heard that IOS 15 is basically 12 with more features. Are all the commands still the same or are there changes in the command structures for certain parts?

Yup, generally newer IOS versions add new commands or command options, however . . .

As the other posts have noted, almost always, newer IOS versions support the commands in prior IOS versions.  Very rarely, commands are removed.  A little less than very rarely, commands are renamed.  (Note: often an IOS upgrade will automatically rename such commands.  An IOS downgrade, though, can require manual command re-application of renamed commands.)  Sometimes, and also generally rare, defaults will change for commands.  (I.e. going from one IOS version to another, a command may "appear" or "disappear" from the config.)  Lastly, also and very, very rarely, the same command might work just a little bit differently between IOS versions.

PS:

BTW, if you use 12.4T, it will be much like 15.0.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: