cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

clear memory

emily
Level 1
Level 1

i had catlys6509 met out of memory problem ,I tink maybe worm attack , but at this period i can't found out the symptom , so I want to know any command can clear memory processor , release available memory

5 Replies 5

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Emily,

Running out of memory can often be due to a software bug. Just look in the Bug Toolkit for "memory leak" and you will get lots and lots of hits. A memory leak is where a process mallocs some memory to do a job, and then because some unusual sequence of events hits a software bug, forgets to return it to the pool when it has finished with it. Form a newly booted switch, observe the memory pool from time to time, and see if it is going steadily down. That can indicate a memory leak.

These can be difficult to track down, but the first step is to know the OS version number - that can narrow it down in the bug database. Then you just have to look at the list of features with memory leak bugs, and see if there are any you are using.

The fix is usually to update the OS to one where the bug is fixed.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

tarun209
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Please refer to the lin below

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/products_security_advisory09186a00800b138e.shtml

Thanks & Regards

Tarun G

Hello

Thanks for all reponse

I am used 12.1(6)E1 version with SUP1A ,I very curious why does never met leak memory in the past if the issue point is software bug ???

That can happen with memory leaks. Memory leaks happen only when certain traffic patterns cause certain code to be executed. But once they start to happen, they are cumulative. I had a memory leak problem on a remote site 2500 series router when the users started using a particular application in our data cantre. It just happens that the traffic of the application hit a certain sequence of events in the router that triggered the memory leak bug.

Try monitoring the show proc mem over a few days, and see if the free memory is going steadily down.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I had a look in the Bug Database, searching on 12.1(6)E1 and the words "memory leak", and got no fewer than 119 hits, showing memory leaks on all sorts of features.

Does this problem happen often? How long does it take from a reboot to the crash?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card