Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 2610 Router

P_Brown
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am currently pursuing my CCNA. I have taken the Intro to Cisco Networking and the 5 day ICND classes. I am preparing to take the exam in couple of weeks and I wanted to practice the commands I learned in class for the simulation portion of the test. I barrowed a 2610 router and a 1900 switch. Both of these are Ethernet based. I want to begin configuring this equipment and I have hooked the console ports (ethernet) to my PCs, but when I use hyperterminal, I can not get in because I do not know what the IP Address is nor the port. I am guessing for telnet I keep the default port of 23, but does anyone know how to get in without knowing the ip, or how to set an ip not knowing the original ip? Does this make sense? Any how any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Paul

2 Replies 2

P_Brown
Level 1
Level 1

Well..... while I was waiting I was reading up and it looks as though I am going to have to use a roll over cable to connect to the console port.

jdrubino
Level 1
Level 1

You will need a rollover cable.

Use Hyperterminal in windows or Minicom in Linux

the settings for both should be:

Baudrate should be 9600 (assumening it was not changed by someone else)

no parity

1 stopbits

8 databits

You should should do some due dilligence and look this up on google or Cisco's website.

The router has no default IP address - this is not a Linksys router. It comes totaly bare bones - if it were easy you would not be studying so hard for your CCNA ;->

One of the things that makes

Cisco Engineers a cut above the rest is the ability to figure things out for yourself. Google and Cisco's website will be your best friend.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: