Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting 2 ethernet subnets using 2503

sbud622
Level 1
Level 1

Hi People,

Is it possible for me to use my 2503 router to connect 2 ethernet subnets together.

I know that the 2503 only has 1 ethernet port and 2 serials but is there some sort of adaptor i can use to connect the second hub to the router ?

I was thinking maybe if i had a terminal server i could attach it to the serial port on the router and then connect the hub to the port on the terminal server.

Would this work ? It seems like an over kill though but i was wondering if there is anything like the aui ethernet transciver that i can connect to the serial port so it works the same way.

If now will my terminal server method work ?

Thanks alot

Regards

Sid

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Sid,

If you are planning to put two subnets on this same ethernet interface, you can do this, by configuring secondary ip addresses on the ethernet interface. But physically PCs in both the subnets will be in the same lan segment.

int e0

ip add x.x.x.x

ip add y.y.y.y secondary

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for the reply shanky i understand what you are saying, but what if i physically

want to put them on 2 different interfaces, one being the serial interface and one being the ethernet interface ?

Can put some sort of adaptor onto the serial interface so it can also work with ethernet also ?

No adaptor that I have ever heard of , not sure why you wouldn't want to use secondary addresses though . If for some reason you need these to go to 2 different locations you could use secondarys and run the ethernet connection into a small switch at the router and then break it out from there .

I think this has been mentioned, but can you place a small switch between your subnets and the router interface then configure the interface with a secondary address? You would have the physical subnet 1 into port 1 on the switch, physical subnet 2 on port 2 of the switch, then connect port 3 of the switch to the router.

Just a thought.

BE

jcengh
Level 1
Level 1

There is no transceiver, I know of, that would allow you to convert a serial port to an ethernet port. Unfortunately, you may have to get another router that has two ethernet ports. Good luck.

Jason

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card